Saturday, July 14, 2012

Give Me

My poem "Give Me" has now been published in print by the Redwood Coast Review. Also available online at http://www.stephenkessler.com/rcr/rcr_2012sum.pdf on page 10. I was inspired to write this poem while reading  Sparrows Point by Mike Reutter, which described how easy it was for a steel mill worker to be incorporated into the steel itself.

I have met quite a few people in my life who suffered from work-related injuries, including an uncle who lost an arm. The worst that ever happened to me was a bruised finger from a moment's carelessness while positioning railroad ties back around 1977. But a guy working with me on that crew had had his jaw broken before I arrived when a jack failed. He was working with his jaw not yet healed, I guess he needed the pay as desperately as the rest of us did.

No comments:

Post a Comment